Your favorite Dallas staple is celebrating lucky number 7 on Thursday and what a run we have had. Over the past 7 years we have seen the world the change in many ways. From historic presidential elections to the emergence of an aggressive electronic genre called Dubstep, the world has changed in so many different ways. Lets take a look back in time to 2004 to see what was really going on in the world 7 years ago.
1st Band to play the Granada Theater: Olospo
Cost of Living in 2004
How Much things cost in 2004
Average Cost of new house $274,500.00
Average Median Income $45,817.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas $2.10
Pitchfork’s top 10 Albums of 2004
1. The Arcade Fire- Funeral. 7 years later, indie darlings, the Suburbs won a grammy for album of the year, for their album Arcade Fries. “Who are the Suburbs? Gaga totally should of won.” Remember those comments. 7 years later the Arcade Fire are arguably won of the best bands in music right now, crafting some of the most beautiful albums in the past years.
2. Animal Collective- Sung Tongs. The album was charecterized as an emotionally thrilling record, impossibly giddy and fully-charged with big, raucous enthusiasm: Acoustic strums and wild, flailing voices (including some mind-blowing harmonies by vocalists Avey Tare and Panda Bear) coalesce into something sublimely weird and undeniably beautiful. They still haven’t changed a bit.
3. The Streets- A Grand Don’t Come For Free- These British rappers are almost no-where to be found now.
5. Brian Wilson- Smile. The Beach Boy, not the Beard.
6. Madvillian- Madvillany
7. Devendra Banhart- Rejoicing in the Hands
8. The Go! Team- Thunder, Lightning, Strike
9. Ghostface- The Pretty Toney Album
10. Joanna Newsome- The Milk-Eyed Mender- I think this should be ranked a tad higher. Pitchfork founder Ryan Schreiber said The Milk Eyed Mender is in fact unspeakably beautiful beneath its squaking exterior, and an invaluable addition to the folk cannon. Couldn’t of said it better.
December 8th, 2004, Ex-Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed on stage while playing with his band Damage Plan. RIP Dimebag.
2011 Grammy Award Winners
Record of the Year- Coldplay for “Clocks”
Album of the Year- OutKast- Speakerboxxx/The Love Below- “Hey Ya” is still one of the most over played songs ever.
Song of the Year- Luther Vandross “Dance with My Father”
Best New Artist- Evanesence. Remember them? Sounds like a nice smelling shampoo.
Best Alternative Album- The White Stripes for Elephant. Thank god something note worthy won that year.
February 1st, 2004, Cookie Monster’s beloved New England Patriots won their 2nd Super bowl title with Tom Brady against the previously 1-15 Carolina Panthers. 7 years later, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots are still one of the best teams in the NFL and the Carolina Panthers are still getting their “ish” together. Oh yeah, Tom Brady won the next year too. Some things never change. 2004 was also, the epic Janet Jackson nip slip during halftime with Justin Timberlake.
February 3, The CIA admited there was no imminent threat of WMD’s before the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Yet, we are still there. Mission Accomplished.
July 25th, Texas native, Lance Armstrong wins his 6th consecutive Tour de France title. Remember those yellow livestrong bracelets that cost 5 bucks a pop? I bet they’re on eBay for pennies right now.
August 13th, the 2004 summer Olympics are held in Athens, Greece where the US dominated the medal count with 103 total medals and 35 gold medals led by the one and only bong hittin’ Michael Phelps. Merica’
President George Bush beats Democratic challenger John Kerry to gain a second term of office
September 22, the pilot for Lost aired on ABC and hooked in the public in for 6 seasons. Yet, we still don’t know why they’re on that god damn island. Damn you JJ Abrams.
October 27th 2004 was arguably one of the most exciting days in MLB history. On October 16th, after being beaten previously by 19-8, The Boston Red Sox came back from a 0-3 game deficit to defeat the New York Yankees in the ALCS to advance to the World Series. The Red Sox would then go on to win the World Series for the first time since 1918, breaking the Curse of the Bambino.
Martha Stewart is convicted of a felony and sentenced to five months in prison
November 19th, then Pacer, Ron Artest engaged in a brawl with fans and players of the Detroit Pistons. Like I said, some things never change. Except your name.
December 26th, one of the worst natural disasters in recorded history hit Southeast Asia. A Tsunami, triggered by a 9.3 earthquake crashed into Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, and other nations that border the Indian Ocean. The Official death toll stands at 186,983 while more than 40,000 people are still missing.